Re: [gopher] History and future of "the gopher project"

> On 11 Jan 2015, at 12:21, Mateusz Viste <mateusz@viste.fr> wrote:
>
> On 01/10/2015 09:16 PM, Jeff W wrote:
>> Before doing so he moved the gopher project email list over to the Debian
>> project's mailman-based listserv, hence the current arrangement.
>
> About this - why are we all using this mailing list in the first place? There have been a dedicated nntp group for gopher since forever: comp.infosystems.gopher but surprisingly, this mailing list is much more active.

Yes, NNTP is a much better protocol… but getting a feed nowadays is pretty complicated unless you pay for some NNTP service. Pretty much all ISPs have stopped providing that, and free servers went away because of spamming.

I might be mistaken, of course.

- Kim