Re: [gopher] CAPS capability: ServerDefaultCharset

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 10:34 PM, Kim Holviala <kim@holviala.com> wrote:
Hee hee… One does not need to imagine, one simply needs to download Gophernicus and test that feature :-D. Gophernicus autodetectes all input (US-ASCII, Latin-1, UTF-8) and re-encodes to output charset which by default is US-ASCII. This applies to all text files and generated menus (directory listings).

Reason for this seemingly stupid feature was that no client that I tested could handle my UTF-8 filenames, and I wasn’t going to change my files so changing menus on the fly was the only choice. And since I already had the code I decided to re-encode textfiles too.

This is really neat :) How do you "detect" the file's encoding btw?
I "almost" do the same with cgod (encoding on the fly) but currently
I make no efforts to auto-dtect file encoding on disk.

cheers
James