Re: [gopher] CAPS capability: ServerDefaultCharset

> On 03 Jan 2015, at 14:34, Kim Holviala <kim@holviala.com> wrote:
>
>> Of course one could imagine a server that recodes everything on the fly, when files are physically stored in another charset, but's that would rather be a special feature of the server (and IMHO, an unnecessary one, since it makes more sense to directly store the content in utf-8 anyway).
>
> Hee hee… One does not need to imagine, one simply needs to download Gophernicus and test that feature :-D. Gophernicus autodetectes all input (US-ASCII, Latin-1, UTF-8) and re-encodes to output charset which by default is US-ASCII. This applies to all text files and generated menus (directory listings).

Here’s an example:
gopher://holviala.com/0/~kim/testsuite/charset#040Mixed

Originally that text file has “ÅåÄäÖö” (all the strange chars we use here in Finland) in both Latin-1 and UTF-8. Even if Gophernicus loses some information, at least it’s readable.

- Kim