Re: [gopher] cgod - a new prototype gopher daemon

Personally for a gopher server, I like it build in a compiled language like C, and for the ability to run it from inetd. Since my gopher traffic is rather minimum, I don't feel that I need a gopher process running all the time taking up resources other applications could be using.

I love Python and it is my go-to language for almost anything under the sun. I've been a hardcore Django web dev for years now. But for a gopher server, I'd rather opt for minimalizm. Which is why I choose mgod over the other gopher servers available.

It is nice however that you managed to create a new Gopher server in Python. Maybe one day if my Gopher traffic becomes demanding enough will I move off of an inetd solution.

I also use Bitbucket, and previously built a Pythonic API to their REST API. As noted in a previous email, I am planning on making SCM gateways for Gopher, one of them being Mercurial. My first one will of course be my favorite SCM, good old classic Subversion. These gateways will be made in Python of course.

I may consider using a Python based Gopher server if running Python apps ontop of it were seamless. Right now with mgod, each Python script is forked, so it sort of limits the sort of Gopher apps I could potential build.

For example, it would be cool if said Gopher server was very extendable via custom Python apps. Similar to how Django has an Apps system and url dispatcher. So rather than forking, the code is already in memory. It would be a perfect server for hosters like me who only host their own site. I could see apps being made for various gateways, and multihosting using the classic tilde.

Those are my thoughts and opinions.