Re: [gopher] Draft RFC

On 21 June 2012 13:23, Alistair <alistair@alistairsserver.no-ip.org> wrote:
> On 21/06/2012 18:18, Nick Matavka wrote:
>>>
>>> * The redirect is for clients which don't support URL: links but which
>>> do support HTML. They will be sent to the correct location so that
>>> they're not left wondering what went wrong.
>>

>> Yes, that's what "non-compliant" means (do not support URL:).
>>

> Non-compliant suggests either not doing something correctly or omitting
> support for something mandatory.
>
> There is no way it should be mandatory for a gopher client to support things
> that aren't gopher...

Except URL: strings are "de facto" gopher.

As for HTML, nobody says Gopher clients need to support HTML.
However, if a client does not support URL: and ALSO lacks support for
HTML, I'm not sure how to "fake" support for URL:.  With HTML support,
you can easily "fake" it, but without... well, I don't know.

Is there a way to launch an application from server side without
resorting to HTML?  If there were, I'd recommend that, but as things
are right now... well, I don't know.  Enabling a server to open an
application on the client side would be nothing short of a security
nightmare.

The only reason I'm mentioning HTML at all is say you had a Gopher1.0
client, i.e. it didn't support goodies like robots.txt, caps.txt,
about.txt, the new selectors, or even URL: links (if you don't know,
would mean there was no way for Gopher to link to a Web page.  But
suppose the Gopher1.0 client had full Web support and could render
HTML accurately.  In that case, by having the server put out an HTML
page for the client, you'd get to the Web site anyway.

--
       /^\/^\
       \----|
   _---'---~~~~-_