Re: [gopher] Any good programmers on here?

On 06/02/2012 12:56 AM, Nick Matavka wrote:
> I've got
> a cool vintage Web browser (and Gopher client!) that used to be the
> W3C's testbed browser till they pawned it off on Yggdrasil, who
> promptly disappeared.

Yowza! LGX! I used to base my ISP services on that and Jolix when it
became impossible to keep the Vaxen alive LOL!

I've actually got the first few releases of Yggdrasil, and the first two
editions of "The Linux Bible - The GNU Testament", on my bookshelf...

hm... let's see here....

Fall 93 - Linux Kernel version 0.99.13

Summer 94 and Fall 94 too.

I've got one of them running as a VM, which I fire up sometimes, and
then there's my collection of old 386 boxes w/8bit ISA Ethernet NICs in
my Sea Container that are presumably operational if I just plug them in :)

That's totally kewl Nick! I didn't know that about the browser though. I
spoke to Adam a couple of times back then, and have tried to find out
what happened to him (and Phil Hughes - original publisher of LJ, who I
*think* left the industry and moved to Panama or something) but the
trail dead ends everywhere I look.

You have a great idea there though.

It' s called Arena and it would be great to see
> it turn into Ygg's original vision, a GPL-licenced browser for the X
> Window System (uses Motif).  I would love to see this browser turn
> into an HTML 3 browser that would be lightweight and super fast,
> something like Lynx with pretty pictures.
>
>  I've got the latest version right here.
> http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/source/web/arena_0.3.62.orig.tar.gz

- --
Bradley D. Thornton