Re: [gopher] Need advice

On 2012-05-15, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
> On 2012-05-15, Wolfgang Faust wrote:
>
>> RFC 4266 specifies that %09 (TAB) be used to split the selector from the
>> query, like this:

> IIRC, when gopher extensions were last discussed here, we talked about
> gopher+ and URLs for gopher+ features, and we found out that, while
> there is indeed a standard mentioning %09/tab in the URL, ? was in
> common usage as the separator. I guess because of issues with the tab
> character.

Oh, I guess this is the message I was thinking about:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.gopher.general/2364

(It a few years ago: be advised, I may have said something stupid back
then in that thread.)

Quoting Cameron,
> We don't even use it now for gopher; the convention has been '?' as a
> separator (I don't really like that but there it is).

So, I guess the heuristic is to translate ? to <TAB> only if the item
type is 7?

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg