Re: [gopher] Updated Gopher RFC

On May 8, 2012, at 15:44 , Wesley Teal wrote:

> Kim's got a list of documents that may be of use:
> gopher://gophernicus.org/1/doc/gopher/

WOOHOO! That's me!

> As for item types here's one possible list that seems to conform more
> or less to current practices:
>
>   0   Text file
>   1   Directory
>   2   CSO phone-book server
>   3   Error
>   4   BinHexed Macintosh file
>   5   Any binary archive
>   6   Uuencoded file
>   7   Index-Search server
>   8   Telnet session
>   9   Binary file
>   +   Redundant server
>   T   tn3270 session
>   g   GIF image
>   I   Any non-GIF image file
>   i    informational text
>   h   HTML file or Web-link
>   x   XML file
>   d   Any document file (PDF, PostScript, or word processor formats)
>   s   Any audio file
>   ;   Any video file

Now this would be an excellent thing to get sorted out. I don't think theres ever been an clear agreement about filetypes... For example I use "M" for mbox (can't remeber where I got that), "p" for pdf/ps, "c" for calendar files (ics), documents are under "9" and not "d" etc etc.

- Kim