Re: [gopher] Need suggestions regarding proposed Gopher History Archive contract

Obviously, don't sign anything you don't feel comfortable with.

I think that for a collection of data, rather than a set of physical
objects, this contract is not applicable. It applies a number of
restrictions on the data which would be necessary for, say, Beatles
memorabilia, but are not applicable to widely downloadable electronic
documents. Since this file is publicly available, can't they simply
download it and archive it without a contract?

I have undertaken a similar project myself. I felt no need to get the
title to the collection, or include any disclaimers. I simply
downloaded the archive and wrote an interface to it. Why does Stanford
need this level of control over the archive?

On 4/11/12, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@floodgap.com> wrote:
> My major objection would be point 16, i.e., that they are under no
> obligation
> to provide access, since that's the whole point.
>
> As far as ownership, I think it can be said that you own the data
> *collection*
> rather than the actual data, and nothing in the contract states you are
> asserting copyright nor is Stanford imposing such.
>
> Still, it seems a frightfully restrictive form and smells of lawyer grease.
>
> --

01010111 01101111 01101100 01100110