Re: [gopher] A letter to Mozilla Foundation

> What I think they shouldn't do is just drop it due to security
> concerns. See, dropping extension support would avoid problems due to
> evil add-ons. Dropping plugins would avoid the Adobe Flash programming
> errors. And dropping javascript would solve lots of other problems. It
> should be about what they want to support and have in their program.

I agree wholeheartedly, and I think the whole security thing was a
smokescreen.

My personal feeling is that they wanted to shake out technologies they
believed were not worth their time, and they chose (not unreasonably)
Moz 2.0 where a large number of internal changes were taking place to
draw that line. Although they never went out and said it, this was
implied by comments like Mike Shaver's where they did not want cycles
wasted on testing and development for it.

I would be disappointed, but respectful, if they had been open about
this from the beginning. The real argument is how much investment it
would have required to maintain, and, well, my perspective on that is
well known. I was more than willing to do the work to keep the code in.
But that wasn't what they wanted.

The fix was in for Gopher back in 2007, and I'm just happy we got it
to stay in for three years after that.

For the record, killing Gopher in Fx 4.0 has awakened a lot of background
interest from people peripherally aware of it who were sorry to see it go.
I've gotten quite a few letters from people who were happy to see an
add-on still in maintenance, and said they would spread it around a bit.
This might amplify as the actual end (i.e., release of Fx 4.0 final)
approaches.

I heard back from the SeaMonkey folks and they were happy to offer
assistance porting OverbiteFF to SM, and it's nearly done if people want
to give it a spin.

-- "I'd love to go out with you, but my tarantula is getting neutered." -------