[gopher] Can someone explain the status of Firefox support for gopher?

OK, I'm confused.  Can someone explain, in a few words, what is going
on with Firefox support for gopher?  Last I heard, it was going away.
Now there is talk of a JS implementation.  As of 3.5.7, gopher still
seems to work.  But at some point, it won't?  Or it still will?
Wasn't there someone at some point emphatically calling for gopher's
immediate removal from the FF code base?  What happened to him?

Now there's mention of gopher in fennec.  Does that mean that gopher
will only be available on mobile devices?  And that it will no longer
be available to non-mobile devices?

Why does this have to be so difficult?

(The last question was rhetorical.)

  --Brian

--
Don't have gopher?  Visit the world's first wiki-based gopher proxy!
http://www.pongonova.org/gopherwiki