Re: [gopher] gopher++ (gopher1) protocol

On 2010-01-11 19:41, Alex Nordlund wrote:

The server MUST be able to convert all image resources to GIF, PNG and JPEG
formats. A client SHOULD not request for any other format than those three.

What's with the vector hate?

What's with the hate towards my doc?

I didn't think of vector formats - the problem with them is that they're usually extremely complicated compared to raster stuff like GIF or even PNG (I admit that JPEG is complicated too). SVG is nice though. The main idea was simply to provide a mean for a small simple client to display small simple image formats (assisted by the server).

The server SHOULD be able to convert PDF and PostScript resources to the any
of the above three image formats and to plain text. A client SHOULD not ask
for anything else.

What about rtf, doc and docx?

Um, who wouldn't want a converter from docx to ANY other format?

The server SHOULD be able to convert all audio resources to either WAV, MP3
or OGG Vorbis. A client SHOULD not ask for any other format.

What about us who have to have our audio in a lossless format?

Just download it as application/octet-stream. It's in the spec. Why would you ask for an MP3 if you didn't want one?

The server SHOULD be able to convert all video resources to either MPEG or

Why not h.264?
You can make it quite small and still retain awesome amounts of quality.

True, but actually all of the movie (and sound) stuff should be removed from the doc. I got a bit carried away with the conversion stuff....

- Kim