[gopher] Re: Gopherness

Jay Nemrow wrote:
> "Updated" nostalgia is not nostalgia at all.

Sure, but an improved Gopher could have practical uses. I think,
perhaps, it might be a better idea to start from nearly scratch and
create a new protocol that takes the best ideas from Gopher (the
simplicity of the client! the structured layout!) and add and modifies
features that we feel would be useful (Replace the limited item type
system with something based on MIME types (which has the useful fallback
of "display unknown text/* types as text, everything else unknown should
be treated as application/octet-stream"), sending some metadata in the
response, perhaps define a way to send requests with data).

This is different than extending Gopher in that we DON'T worry about
backwards compatibility - at least, not on the protocol level. Servers
that speak both Gopher and Comepher (or another bad pun, since those
seem to be inevitable) would be a Good Thing.