[gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions

Hulloh,
> A possible workaround: get the parent menu (using the same method I
> mentioned before - I don't remember anything stating the selectors are
> supposed to be built with a slash between each directory name, I need to
> read the rfc again (even if gopher is supposed to be hierarchical, what
> prevents some server from using dots instead of slashes for directory
> separators?)), check the mime-type (for the mime-in-the-menu approach),
> or check if the entry has gopher+ data (then retrieve such data).
 Exactly - you can't rely on '/' being the separator, or that the last
section cut off yields the valid parent dir, or even that there are
directories.

 At this point I'd much rather drop this protocol extension thing, and
focus on using the existing technology to the fullest.. whatever that
means :)

 For that matter, I'd love a client for Windows Mobile 6.. also for the
iphone 3G :)

 On the server side: full text search engine. I have some experience
with using the HyperEstraier engine. I have about 16 gigabytes of text
indexed; I can search and view results over Gopher (with a python
"mole"), it's pretty fast and convenient. It also supports boolean
operators and phrase search.
 It doesn't have a Gopher spider currently per se, but it's fully open
source; maybe we could fit a spider to it? (Or even get the existing
Veronica spider to talk to it?)
 (Setting up and initializing the search db (from local data) is very
easy, so the required effort to play with it is minimal.)

Regards,
 Mate