[gopher] UMN gopherd not logging w/ "-I"

I know this thing is considered obsolete but ...

I thought I'd try running gopherd out of inetd just to see
what the load difference would be. gopherd was getting started
with the following options:

# gopherd -Ic -l /var/log/gopherlog -u furry /home/furry

I was unsure about NetBSD's inetd limitations on the number of
command words allowed so I tried the above with an externally called
script; same results. inetd.conf entry was taken directly out of
the gopherd man page.

Oh yeah; Version: U of Minnesota Unix 3.0 pl2

Testing showed that while gopherd got started and killed ok, the
/var/log/gopherlog file never got created and, even when I created
it, it never got wrote to.  Is this normal behavor for gopherd?
Dropping the "-I" fixes the logging problem, so I'm fairly confident
that there were no write access issues.

Cheers,
Jeff