[gopher] Re: Gopher info at top of menu

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Aaron Angel wrote:
> How can you put a `header' at the top of a menu like many sites do?

I'm not sure which sites you mean (can you give us an example?) but I
generally do this with the "i" gophertype. So, for example, the front page
of gopher.publication.org.uk looks something like this:

iWelcome to gopher.publication.org.uk		error.host	1
iOwned and operated by Pinkstuff People		error.host	1

etc.

In UMN gopherd, you can do this with Type=i in your .links file, but it's
fiddly. I believe someone's written a tool to create "i" lines in .links
files automatically, though. Bucktooth's system of gophermap files is much
easier, IMO, and lets you enter the text freeform as long as it's not
ambiguous.

hth,