Re: Does apt clean delete /var/cache/apt/*pkgcache.bin on purpose?

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 10:04:50PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently noticed (too late, this has made me wonder for a while)
> that apt clean also deletes /var/cache/apt/*pkgcache.bin. Is that on
> purpose? If so, may I ask why?

It is on purpose because there were historically lots of broken cache
files causing segfaults, and the only way to recover from that is to
delete them. It also cleans up any temporary cache file that was not
renamed correctly.

I think the problem is basically gone now that we have checksums for
the cache files, but it's still a good idea to keep the deletion
IMO.
--
Debian Developer - deb.li/jak | jak-linux.org - free software dev
                  |  Ubuntu Core Developer |