Re: High request rate for Squeeze files that don't exist on cloudfront.debian.net

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 4:06 PM, James Bromberger <james@rcpt.to> wrote:
> Hello Apt team,
>
> I'm seeing millions of requests per month (on cloudfront.debian.net) against
> a set of URLs that are not present for Squeeze in the mirror network:
> /debian/dists/squeeze/main/i18n/Translation-en.diff/Index
> /debian/dists/squeeze/main/i18n/Translation-en.bz2
> /debian/dists/squeeze-updates/main/i18n/Translation-en.bz2
> /debian/dists/squeeze-lts/main/i18n/Translation-en.bz2
> /debian/dists/squeeze-lts/contrib/i18n/Translation-en.bz2
> /debian/dists/squeeze-lts/non-free/i18n/Translation-en.bz2
> /debian/dists/squeeze/contrib/i18n/Translation-en.bz2
> /debian/dists/squeeze/non-free/i18n/Translation-en.bz2
>

> That second file was requested by clients some 2.19 million times in
> November, generating 1.53 GB of 404 responses. I am assuming there is never
> an English translation file in Squeeze (but the corresponding paths above do
> exist for wheezy/jessie/etc.
>
> Is this anything that is of concern? Is it misconfigured clients, or new
> versions of apt against old releases in sources.list that expect the file(s)
> to be there, or did Squeeze's apt erroneously think there should be a
> Translation-en set of files?

Don't worry, it just checks whether there are any. APT does not know
which files are available (it does not use the Release file as an
index for (mostly) historical reasons), so it simply tries files it
might need.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.