Re: Profile support in apt

Hi,

Quoting Johannes Schauer (2014-02-11 12:39:29)
> Quoting Julian Andres Klode (2013-01-30 12:57:18)
> > DEP-11 plans to make '<' and '>' basically part of the package name and use
> > that for more complex provides; not knowing the use in multi-arch (I forgot
> > it). So the extended architecture syntax seems better in my opinion; as it
> > does not conflict with that stuff.
>
> for the better or worse, the <!profile.stage1> syntax was accepted in dpkg
> 1.17.2. Looking at http://dep.debian.net/deps/ it seems that DEP-11 has been
> removed?
>
> I prepared a patch which adds the current implementation of build profiles in
> dpkg to apt.
>
> Please have a look.

The last message to this thread (prior to my last message with the patch) was
posted more than a year ago and I forgot to post some more background
information. Some things changed and others are only documented properly now.
The patch I attached to my last email implements the design from this spec:

https://wiki.debian.org/BuildProfileSpec

Build profiles are not yet in policy but dpkg implements build profiles in this
way.

The patch in my last email would fix apt bug #661537

Thanks!

cheers, josch