Re: binNMUing on some architectures breaks Multi-arch: same

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 11.04.2012, 12:05 +0100 schrieb Adam D. Barratt:
> >> A source upload isn't "just a rebuild" in Debian.  It's an NMU and
> >> requires building and testing the package with at least as much care
> >> as
> >> any other NMU would.  It doesn't scale, it's a waste of resources
> >> and
> >> I'm not convinced that it's something that it's appropriate for the
> >> Release Team to be doing on a regular basis.
> >
> > while I agree with your other points, I wonder why doing a sourceful
> > upload without source changes, built in a clean environment such as
> > pbuilder, should require more testing than scheduling binNMUs, i.e.
> > none?
>
> Culturally, I suspect many maintainers view an NMU - even one with no
> actual changes - as a different beast from a binary rebuild.  Whether
> that should be the case is a different matter.

ok, that might be a valid point, although I think that over the course
of the last decate, in general such actions are better received.

>  From a technical perspective, even for a small package there's still
> significantly more work involved in "fetch source, update chroot,
> rebuild, sign, upload" than "schedule binNMU, wait for the build to fail
> or the package to appear in the archive".  Personally the latter is also
> much more possible to do whilst away from my signing key - e.g. during
> my lunch break at work.  For larger packages the investment in time (and
> bandwidth) required is also potentially much larger.

True, I was not debating the work involved (and I really wish I could
binNMU arch:all packages as well instead of being forced to do a
sourceful upload).

I’d just like to point out that if, for some reason, is it more
convenient for me to do a sourceful no-change upload instead of
binNMUing on all arches (e.g. because I need the result to continue
working), I’d do a no-change sourceful upload and expect that to be ok
with everyone.

Greetings,
Joachim

--