Re: [Aptitude-devel] Trying to install apt version 0.8.16~exp13 as it solved one of my issues .

in-line :-

2012/3/9 Daniel Hartwig <mandyke@gmail.com>:
> 2012/3/9 shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com>:
>> Hi all,
>> I was trying to install apt 0.8.16~exp13 as it has solved one of the
>> issues that had been plaguing me and that is the translations take
>> quite a bit of bandwidth. See the bug about pdiffs and translations
>> that was fixed in the most recent upload (which became apt
>> 0.8.16~exp13).  While trying to update it to the apt 0.8.16~exp13 it
>> seems there are lot of tools which are holding it back.
>>

> Hi Shirish
>
> IIRC you had this same problem in February :-)
>
> Please do not install experimental APT on your *desktop* system.  Thanks.
>
> As mentioned in the replies to your earlier email [1], this version of
> APT is being kept in experimental while the state of multi-arch settles
> down.

Hi Daniel,
Oops and sorry for the noise. I guess just my immaturity or/and
impatience showing here. Guess will have to wait when dpkg and
multiarch stuff are finalized. Thank you though for taking time to
answer.

> In the meantime, I would not expect the smaller utilities (apt-file,
> apt-listbugs, etc.) to be updated in experimental.  These programs are
> only of use in a complete system.

ok.

> [1] http://lists.debian.org/deity/2012/02/msg00051.html
>

> By looking at #639290 (which you mentioned last time as motivation for
> this) I can see some users have hinted at a work around:
>
> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=639290#224
> [3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=639290#229
>
> I suggest to try that if you have not already.

Thank you, have done but also good to have it in record.

>> Another thing that I was kinda shocked to find is that most apt-utils
>> don't seem to have a webpage/homepage associated with them. I filed
>> one for apt-file Bug #663139  and at least would do so for couple of
>> the apt tools I like but does not seem to be an easy way to to get the
>> new apt.
>>

> Do not be shocked :-) These are small utilities which have very
> specific functions tied to the APT system.  Most of them already
> perform their function well.  "Roadmaps" are not particularily useful
> for tools such as these.

Guess but having a webpage or wiki page so people have some info. on
it won't hurt. I have filed the relevant wishlist bugs for some of the
apt-tools. I could start wiki pages for each of the tools I find
interesting with the Long description and TODO listed in
/usr/share/doc/$packagename (obviously some apt-tool) but as have no
further info. such as the scm address or/and what the maintainer's
goals are, would be nice if such pages exist (and maintained). Please
lemme know what do people think. If that is a go then could at least
have some crude pages for now (basically copy-pasting stuff).

> From your bug report it looks like you are interested in knowing when
> apt-file, etc. will be updated to support apt 0.8.16.  This is most
> likely to happen when 0.8.16 is release to unstable.  There is no
> projected date for that as yet.

Ah ok.

Actually the motivation now has changed for apt has changed ;-)

Please see # bug 657902 which has been closed by the new apt version.

The only thing I could not understand from Joerg's Jasper's statement
[1] was this :-

alternatively this will just break our archive, lets see in next  'dinstall...'

the quotes around dinstall are for emphasis, what does dinstall mean, anyone ?

1. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=657902#32

Thank you again.

--
          Regards,