Re: [Aptitude-devel] Trying to install apt version 0.8.16~exp13 as it solved one of my issues .

2012/3/9 shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
> I was trying to install apt 0.8.16~exp13 as it has solved one of the
> issues that had been plaguing me and that is the translations take
> quite a bit of bandwidth. See the bug about pdiffs and translations
> that was fixed in the most recent upload (which became apt
> 0.8.16~exp13).  While trying to update it to the apt 0.8.16~exp13 it
> seems there are lot of tools which are holding it back.

Hi Shirish

IIRC you had this same problem in February :-)

Please do not install experimental APT on your *desktop* system.  Thanks.

As mentioned in the replies to your earlier email [1], this version of
APT is being kept in experimental while the state of multi-arch settles
down.

In the meantime, I would not expect the smaller utilities (apt-file,
apt-listbugs, etc.) to be updated in experimental.  These programs are
only of use in a complete system.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/deity/2012/02/msg00051.html

By looking at #639290 (which you mentioned last time as motivation for
this) I can see some users have hinted at a work around:

[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=639290#224
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=639290#229

I suggest to try that if you have not already.

> Another thing that I was kinda shocked to find is that most apt-utils
> don't seem to have a webpage/homepage associated with them. I filed
> one for apt-file Bug #663139  and at least would do so for couple of
> the apt tools I like but does not seem to be an easy way to to get the
> new apt.

Do not be shocked :-) These are small utilities which have very
specific functions tied to the APT system.  Most of them already
perform their function well.  "Roadmaps" are not particularily useful
for tools such as these.

>From your bug report it looks like you are interested in knowing when
apt-file, etc. will be updated to support apt 0.8.16.  This is most
likely to happen when 0.8.16 is release to unstable.  There is no
projected date for that as yet.

Regards