Re: [Aptitude-devel] About the status and plans for aptitude

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 05:44, Daniel Hartwig <mandyke@gmail.com> wrote:
> An issue in dealing with some of these is that aptitude is dependent
> on libapt-pkg for much of it's functionality.

That's not an issue, that is a feature. ;)
Really, as much as reimplementing the wheel might sound
like a lot of fun: it isn't in the long run.

That said, yes, libapt isn't bug-free (just look at our bugcount)
and there is a lot of stuff which could be implemented in it.
So if you feel like implementing something, feel free to do it!

It's tempting to implement a new feature in a private area,
but even through moving it to libapt might be slower it helps
in getting more eyes on it and enables frontends to share stuff
instead of writing the same code again and again.

Package management is an integral point of any distribution,
so if you choose to work on it, i can tell you from personal
experience that many people will start to love you in no time. ;)

So, as said, feel free to grab the code, ask questions, start
hacking and drop pointers to it to the relevant people/mailinglists.
E.g.: In case of questions related to libapt, feel free to ask on deity@d.l.o.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies