Re: [RFC] Changing APT to pre-depend on ${shlibs:Depends}

On Mi, 2011-04-27 at 19:34 +0300, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2011-04-27 14:53, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > I hereby request comments on changing APT to pre-depend on
> > ${shlibs:Depends}.
>
> >         When we upload a new version of APT, depending on a newer
> >         library version (due to new symbols, whatever), and APT gets
> >         unpacked before the library, the system's ability to upgrade is
> >         broken, unless you fix it manually via calls to dpkg.
>
> First, this statement is not true because other package managers exist.
>
> Second, why the APT's ability to upgrade is broken under these
> conditions? Unless I'm missing something, the upgrade cannot be
> started in the middle of another upgrade [1].
The system's ability to upgrade without involving dpkg is broken if a
newer version of APT is unpacked via dpkg.

> And, "I'll upload if there is no strong objection" is probably
> void, because Debian policy requires consensus, not a nonexistance of a
> strong objection.
No. We *should* require consensus. The only way to force a change
against the maintainer's will is tech-ctte or a GR. We do not have a
clear decision in the APT team yet, though, as mvo is not here
currently.

> I object to this change.
So we'd need one supporter now to speak up in order to get a neutral
level again.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.