Re: RFC: The Future of Solving Dependency Problems in APT (SAT, CUDF)

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 12:53, Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org> wrote:
> On Do, 2010-12-23 at 16:14 +0100, Pietro Abate wrote:
>> A small whish item since we are here: can we also expose the function
>> that computes the installation order. It would be nice to somehow
>> formalize this algorithm and let the "user" access the list in some
>> other way then throught a debugging option...
>
> The installation order is done by class pkgOrderList in
> apt-pkg/orderlist.cc and is a container that you can order, and the
> ordering appears to be complicated (1100 lines total, 695 SLOC) and
> AFAIK also has some problems. If we can improve this situation, I would
> be happy.

Your are not the only one. I had a lot of "fun" with it already and
Michael is a big fan of it, too. In theory that is something dpkg should
do as it has superior knowledge (e.g. which maintainer script exists for
loop unbreaking) but stuff like #526774 doesn't help in making it less
complicated…

Best regards

David Kalnischkies