[UPLOADED] RFC: The Future of Solving Dependency Problems in APT (SAT, CUDF)

On Mi, 2010-12-22 at 18:32 +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> If there are no objections, I will create a new branch, and implement a
> SatSolver using picosat therein (as that's fairly easy and produces good
> results). I would also like to create the CudfSolver, but I'd need a
> solver to test with. If anyone knows such solvers, please write.

I pushed the branch to bzr+ssh://bzr.debian.org/bzr/apt/apt/solver/, and
uploaded 0.8.10+expnewsolvers1 to experimental. It uses the SAT solver
for install, remove, upgrade, dist-upgrade, but it can currently not
handle unsatisfiable upgrades correctly (that is, it currently does not
hold an upgrade back if it is impossible) - use with caution. And it may
destroy detection of automatically installed packages.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.