segfault occurs if /var/lib/apt/lists is not readable

I hope it would be ok if I simply give a life to this elderly bugreport,
since it might be the case, which was left unexplored (I see no track of
question about permissions)

I have prepared a simple live-cd using live-builder, and (yet to
discover why), /var/lib/apt/lists has no rX permissions for anyone but
root.  So, apt-cache search, policy (may be more) simply segfaults in
operation.

ATM I have APT 0.8.8 on that live system.

I guess it should be quite easy to reproduce ;)

(re)Solution should result imho in a gracefull exit with a correct
message about inability to read any of the lists or lock or whatever

thanks in advance!