Re: apt-listchanges: get out of /var/cache/apt

Hi Julian,
thanks for your quick reply!

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 16:29, Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sa, 2010-07-31 at 11:13 +0200, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 09:57:25PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
>> > Package: apt-file
>> > Severity: important
>> >
>> > Don't trample upon the namespace of other packages. You can read from
>> > /var/*/apt. You can't write there. Put your files in
>> > /var/cache/apt-file/ where they belong.
>>
>> (the same was reported to apt-listchanges.)
>>
>> Dear apt maintainer,
>> do you think it's acceptable to have apt-listchanges file in the same
>> location as of those of apt? that's
>>
>> /var/lib/apt/listchanges.db
>> /etc/apt/listchanges.conf
>>
>> apt-listchanges can be seen as an "extension" of apt, and it has a
>> strict depends on it, so without apt it won't be on a user system;
>> That said, I find it appropriate to have those files in the location
>> where they are now, and I'd like to hear from you your opinion.
>
> That's OK for me, under the following rules:
>
>        A package may write to /var/*/apt/ under the following
>        conditions:
>              * Its package name is apt-<foo>
>              * The files created are named <foo>*
>              * The location is already in use by a package in Debian
>                stable prior to 2010-07-31 (and APT maintainers did not
>                ask you to stop using it) or the use of the location was
>                agreed on by the APT maintainers.

I like this policy, in particular because it doesn't require me to do
anything :)

> Andrew: You should have discussed with the APT maintainers prior to
> reporting those bugs. And if you want them to be real bugs, get the
> Policy changed.

Actually the bug was filed some time ago and only know brought to your
attention. Anyhow, given files location has been accepted, I'm closing
the report.

Thanks & Regards,