Re: apt-listchanges: get out of /var/cache/apt

On Sa, 2010-07-31 at 11:13 +0200, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 09:57:25PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > Package: apt-file
> > Severity: important
> >
> > Don't trample upon the namespace of other packages. You can read from
> > /var/*/apt. You can't write there. Put your files in
> > /var/cache/apt-file/ where they belong.
>
> (the same was reported to apt-listchanges.)
>
> Dear apt maintainer,
> do you think it's acceptable to have apt-listchanges file in the same
> location as of those of apt? that's
>
> /var/lib/apt/listchanges.db
> /etc/apt/listchanges.conf
>
> apt-listchanges can be seen as an "extension" of apt, and it has a
> strict depends on it, so without apt it won't be on a user system;
> That said, I find it appropriate to have those files in the location
> where they are now, and I'd like to hear from you your opinion.

That's OK for me, under the following rules:

        A package may write to /var/*/apt/ under the following
        conditions:
              * Its package name is apt-<foo>
              * The files created are named <foo>*
              * The location is already in use by a package in Debian
                stable prior to 2010-07-31 (and APT maintainers did not
                ask you to stop using it) or the use of the location was
                agreed on by the APT maintainers.

Andrew: You should have discussed with the APT maintainers prior to
reporting those bugs. And if you want them to be real bugs, get the
Policy changed.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.