Re: RFC interaction with external dependency solver: Debian-CUDF

Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 08.12.2009, 20:33 +0200 schrieb Eugene V. Lyubimkin:
>
>>>   * Julian was waiting for me on a format proposal: here we go! :-)
>>>
>>> - Solution description: the above returns solution in "here is the
>>>   new package status" style. Julian was instead proposing something like
>>>   "here is a diff from the previous package status". Mine looks cleaner
>>>   to me, but obviously more bloated.
>> I disagree. In case we upgrade something like 2/3 of the system and more, the
>> diff approach is even bigger, even without a fact it's more complicated
>> without any practical gain IMO.
> We have to tell dpkg remove this package/install this package, and not
> "bring us to the following state". Thus, I think that receiving those
> actions from the solver makes things easier, and not more complicated.
No. Consider the variant when some package is in the stage 'unpacked'. You'll
have to pass all the installed packages' states before scheduling actions
anyway. And the external resolver has nothing to do with dpkg.

C++/Perl developer, Debian Developer