Re: RFC interaction with external dependency solver: Debian-CUDF

Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>> Another thing is that there can be two packages with different
>> dependencies, but the same name and version. I propose an optional id
>> field which identifies an unique package. This field would be added to
>> the input and the output (and it could be string, so we can pass
>> hashsums).
>
> Right, good point.  This can be a bit tricky as currently the only (and
> forcibly necessary) package identifier in CUDF model is <package,
> version>. The id would not work though, consider the following example:
[...]
> How is it currently handled in apt and friends?
Cupt uniquely identifies the version entry by the pair (package_name,
version). Hence, I disagree with adding some additional 'id's or something to
the spec, it's ugly and not necessary IMO.

C++/Perl developer, Debian Developer

C++/Perl developer, Debian Developer