Re: Pre-approval for apt 0.7.21: 'Valid-Until' feature and proxy changes

Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> I've removed some CC's.
>
> On Mon, January 19, 2009 12:47, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
>> 1) insert apt-transport-https and all its deps into base system (libcurl,
>>  kerberos etc.)
>
> I'm not sure if we need kerberos for this to work. Just like apt uses a
> small version of gnupg to verify signatures, we can use a small version of
> the https transport that satisfies our needs?
apt-transport-https really depends only on curl, but curl itself has
significant amount of dependencies, so maybe, it depends how the curl binary
package could  be split.

>> 2) Release and Release.gpg, installed on
>> security.debian.org, should be somehow synchronized with at least all
>> official Debian mirrors, I don't know how hard it would be to insert this
>> move into archive infrastructure (ftp masters CC'ed)
>> 3) needs some hardcoded black magic in APT - if user has an entry
>
> I think it's essential to note that the scheme is in principle only
> required for the security mirrors, because the attack scenario is based on
> withholding security updates. As we fully control the security mirrors, I
> think we need not consider mirrors to solve the problem adequately, and
> have a reliable way to know which sources.list entry it applies to.
Ah, agreed, makes sense too.

Ukrainian C++ Developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor