apt 0.8.x: use curl for http/ftp?

Hello team!

We have a lot of bugs regarding implementation of http and ftp methods in apt. I have an
idea to just remove that (unmaintained for years?) parts of code and just use libcurl as
our https method currently does.

This approach would allow us to close most of bugs regarding http/ftp implementation and
reduce code base.

I see only one problem now - libcurl3-gnutls have too many dependencies which will bloat
the base system. So I contacted curl maintainer, and he kindly agreed to do the split of
libcurl for squeeze, and therefore I see no problems with taking this approach.

So... comments, objections?

Ukrainian C++ developer, Debian APT contributor