apt methods API doc / reuse of rred

Hi all,
  I would like to reuse the implementation of rred available in the APT
code base. (Basically I'm doing some kind of Packages/Sources mirroring
and would like to benefit from available diff.)

AFAIU the methods ed_file/ed_rec which apply diffs are not exposed in
libapt-pkg as they are only part of the rred method, is this correct?

Also, according to some tests of mine, it seems that diffs are not
granted to be ed scripts compatible with "patch -e", right?

So the first request is what do you think about exporting the patching
machinery in some libapt-*. Assuming the answer is no, is it possible to
use /usr/lib/apt/methods/rred asking it to do the patching for me? I'm
trying to understand the API to talk with it, but so far I haven't had
any luck. Is the interaction language with methods documented some
where?

Many thanks in advance,
Cheers.

PS more generally, if there is some developer documentation related to
apt, I would be grateful if you can point me to it, as thus far I
haven't found anything pertinent

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/