Re: apt transition - please bump urgency of libept

Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> writes:

> On 11236 March 1977, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 09:48:48AM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
>>> So, as maintainer of C++ packages that use apt and are involved in apt
>>> transitions every so often, I would like to have some sort of handy way
>>> to know "you're free to upload to sid" or "hang on a sec, or upload to
>>> experimental".  A way that possibly doesn't require following both
>>> deity@ and debian-release@ regularly.
>> - run the commands "grep-excuses libept; grep-excuses libept/i386"
>> - look for any Depends: lines
>> - look at the testing transition page for those dependencies on
>>   bjorn.haxx.se: http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=apt- if it looks hairy, ask
>
>> That's going to catch 99% of the problematic cases, and is far more scalable
>> than to have the release team try to notify all affected maintainers
>> whenever there's an ongoing transition.  (Perhaps not more scalable than
>> having dput warn, but the above is something any maintainer can do for
>> themselves today.)
>
> I guess there is no scriptable way to do that? Ie. if it would be
> scriptable without too much guesses here and there I would love to add
> something into process-new that shows me if there is anything related to
> transitions with the package I just look at. Which would show such
> things as the cwidgets upload, or other uploads where the library
> package name changes due to soname, but where it would be better to
> wait a day or two more before it gets accepted to let the old version
> transition first, together with whatever depends on it...

I think it's scriptable but it won't catch cases that doesn't go
throught NEW queue so it looks suboptimal. Besides, this should be
done by you (ftp-master) but by us developers and maintainers.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116