Re: apt transition - please bump urgency of libept

[ I've droped people that are know to be subscribed on ml ]

Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> writes:

>   (this is an expansion of a reply I dashed off earlier to Otavio on my
>    way to dinner)
>
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 10:42:41PM -0200, Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> was heard to say:
>> I'd like to ask you to postpone any other aptitude upload, for sid,
>> until we're moved current APT to testing since we do want to move
>> forward with APT on sid but d-i and other things need this (0.7.9)
>> version to be available ASAP.
>
>   Hi, Otavio.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
>
>   Sorry about the trouble.  I wasn't aware that there was an apt
> transition going on, but I certainly won't upload any new versions until
> that goes through.  I've subscribed to -release so that I can keep an
> eye on what sorts of transitions are going on in the future.  Hopefully
> I can avoid future badly-timed uploads that way.

That's fine. We just want to make available on lenny to move forward
again on sid.

>   I wonder if it would be a good idea to announce apt transitions on
> deity@l.d.o?  aptitude is not special in its dependency structure; any
> upload of an apt-related package will do the same thing, and I think
> maintainers of those packages are more likely to be subscribed to deity
> than to -release.  I could be totally mistaken in this belief, of
> course.

Yes, I agree on that. We can use deity for this kind of coordination
too.

Personally I think that we (you, mvo and me) need to coordianate with
each other when doing uploads since we all are affected by them. This
way we avoid this mistake to happen in future.

Even if we forget to coordinate those things on ml, would be nice to
us send a notice for all involved people before uploading so we avoid
those mistakes, indeed.

Next APT upload will fix a lot of bugs and I think it's going to merge
some new features that were available at Ubuntu reduzing our diversion
a lot. I've also commited a bunch of bugfixes that were available on
BTS for a while. I'm looking forward to see it in :-)

Daniel,

I'd like to ask you, to in cuple of days, to ask on debian-release for
a urgency bump to medium for aptitude and cwidget so we reduce the
need time by half.

Cheers,

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R