Terribly slow startup in 0.7.2

  When I run aptitude linked against 0.7.2 for the first time, it pauses
for a LONG time (like 10 minutes) with the message "initializing package
states".  That's where it iterates over all the packages to see if someone
changed their state under its nose, e.g. by installing packages with dpkg,
and updates their states if necessary.  It also seems like it takes an
inordinately long amount of time to change the state of any package once
the program starts. (something like 1/2 second per package)  This is on
a 1.2GHz laptop.

  Has anyone else noticed slowdowns in other code that links against apt?
I'll take a look at the code on the way to work this morning, but I can't
think of any reason it *should* be this slow, and it wasn't so slow under
previous apt releases.  I saw this first on a xen virtual machine, so I
figured it was some sort of VM nonsense, but it seems to be happening on
real machines too.

  Until this is resolved, I won't upload an aptitude linked against the
new apt -- aptitude would be rendered useless.

  Daniel