bug in python-apt?

Hi,

I use Ubuntu 5.10 and I think I found a bug in python-apt, which was not
there until a fe days ago. I'm not sure if you're just the maintainer of
the Debian package or one of the developers.

Basically: update-manager is not usable anymore. It reloads the list of
packages to be updated, but you rarely can "Install" them (and you
cannot see any "Preferences", too). The application gets locked.

The terminal says:

[cut]
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/update-manager", line 523, in
on_button_preferences_clicked
    apt_pkg.PkgSystemUnLock()
SystemError: E:Not locked

Update-manager used to work very well, but I remember updating
python-apt a few days ago, so I suppose the problem lays there.

Thanks very much in advance,
--
Marco