Re: coordination? (was: APT 0.6 development: who to synchronize with?)

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 06:59:52AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Michael Vogt (mvo@debian.org):
> > I don't think that the development was moved away from the public
>
> I think that Martin's concern was mostly about the mailing list not
> being used enough for discussions and announcements about APT
> development.

Yes, after reading the mail again I think that too, sorry for my
misinterpretation.

> I'm completely sure that there is no conscient move to "secret
> development", just some care to talk about what's happening and who
> works on what which may make the visibility of the development less
> great.
>
> I hereby suggest that people working on some areas just announce it
> here and post their archive address.

I think that's a great idea and therefore I would like to start:
My archives are located at: http://people.ubuntu.com/~mvo/arch/ubuntu
(michael.vogt@ubuntu.com--2005).

They are all branched from Matts main archive:
apt@packages.debian.org/apt--main--0
at:
http://people.debian.org/~mdz/arch/apt@packages.debian.org/

apt--auth-cdrom--0/
-> |dead| support for signed cdroms, merged into main

apt--auto-mark--0/
-> autmatic dependency handling patch from Michael Hofmann
   merged and cleaned up (don't need dpkg anymore). It a bit rough,
   ATM, I would love to get feedback from e.g. Jason or Daniel.

apt--bts225947--0/
-> merged and cleaned up the patch from aj for #226947 (arch-specific
   extra overrides), needs testing

apt--bwlimit--0/
-> support for limiting the bandwith (http only for now), #146877

apt--local-install--0/
-> support for local installs of debs (#47379), some comments from
   Jason would be nice (see discussion in BTS)

apt--mvo--0/
-> nothing too interessting here, only trivial changes that are safe
   for Matt to merge

apt--pdiff--0/
-> package index diff support (#128818), working but incomplete (needs
   a native ed implementation, see discussion in BTS

apt--trust-cdrom--0/
-> added a option to always trust the cdrom when it comes to
   authentication. this is usefull for people building custom install
   cds

apt--woa--0/
-> experimental branch (working-overloaded-apt) that includes most of
   the experimental stuff from above

python-apt--mvo--0/
-> tree that contains a native interface to apt, progress callback
   objects, install/update support (and fixes from Christian Aichinger)

python-apt--pkgDepCache--0/
-> tree that contains support for the dependency cache (already merged
   into apt--main) and fixes from Christian Aichinger

> APT development has received a big push recently and there are
> obviously many areas which need work. Using this list as a
> coordination list seems to be important to do. Good tools such as
> tla/baz cannot do all this for us..:-)

Agreed!

> For instance, is there someone currently working on bug triage? I bet
> that APT bug log needs some serious cleaning..:-)

Agreed again. Someone going over the list of bugs to see what is still
valid would be totally rocking.

Cheers,
 Michael