Re: APT 0.6 l10n : some worries

Hi Christian,

first of all a big thank you to you and the apt translation team. You
do a great job!

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:23:49AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
[..]
> Two weeks ago, I synced my arch repository with Matt Zimmermann's
> one, and then requested all translators who have a 100% translation
> for APT 0.5 to update their translation file.
>
> This process is nearly finished and my arch copy
> (http://www.perrier.eu.org/~bubulle/arch/bubulle@debian.org--2005) has
> a nearly complete po/ directory for.....APT 0.6 source AS THEY WERE
> TWO WEEKS AGO.

I can't think of any string changes within the last two weeks in the
apt arch branch, but I'm not complettely sure (can't check now, I'm
traveling and have very limited internet access).

> Matt is perfectly aware of this process...
>
> However, in Florian Weimer status messages, I see mentions of some
> patches which I don't know how to grab and even is they will be
> applied or not.
>
> There is a big chance that these patches introduced new messages
> displayed to users....thus re-lowering the translation ratio if the
> patches are applied. I'm indeed sure of this for Peter Palfrader's
> patch (http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/02/msg00764.html).

I would like to add that this translation issues apply for the
frontends as well. Synaptic will be released soon (~2 weeks) with
hopefully complettly translated apt-secure messages and I hope it will
make it into sarge. But aptitude will need patches and those patches
introduce new strings (and possible updates for
documentation/manpage).

[..]
> In short, I'm completely IN THE DARK and I begin to wonder whether the
> huge work I did for APT l10n will finally be really useful. Something
> I'm sure : if sarge ships with an incompletely translated APT for the
> 26 completely supported language, we will have 26 translation teams
> very upset by the transition handling.....good luck for getting
> updates in the future.
>
> BTW, I leave for VAC next Wednesday and I'll be back only on March
> 4th. If another experimental release of APT 0.6 is needed, please sync
> before with my archive copy.

I think chances are pretty high that there will be (at least) one
more release of apt-0.6 in experimental because there are some fixes
in current arch tree that are worth merging.

Cheers,
 Michael