apt-mirror

I wonder if an "apt-mirror" utility would be of interest to anybody in the
universe besides myself.  Usually, when I have an idea like this, I poke
around and find that somebody has already had the same idea and has already
solved it, but, in this case, I can't find the solution.

Of course, my idea may be impractical to begin with.

So, here is my problem:
I have a low speed connection at home, but a high speed connection at work.
When I am at work I need to, ahem, be working.  But when I am at home, I get
to play with things and try things out.  Also, I occasionally find myself in
a position where I need to reinstall my system from scratch (either on a new
system (not that often, but it does happen occasionally), or as a result of
my tinkering (oops).  The last time I found myself in this position, I
decided to give Debian a try.  I downloaded the ISO's for woody (using the
high speed connection at work), and when I got home, was able to install
them.  Then I heard about security.debian.org, download.kde.org, and
www.backports.org.

So, what I would like to do is to occasionally make a mirror snapshot of a
particular distribution site (such as those listed above) in such a manner
as to be able to burn the snapshot onto a CD and add that to the pile of
install CD's (updating sources.list accordingly).  Then, when I want to
upgrade a package, or install one that I haven't installed before, I will do
my usual "apt-get" and be prompted to install the correct CD.  It's a little
bit similar to jigdo, or maybe, exactly like jigdo, I'm not sure.

So, does this sound useful to anybody other than me?
Is this totally impractical (recall, I am a newbie to Debian, and "the
Debian way").
Has this already been solved?

Questions, comments, and snide remarks are welcome.

--wpd