Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

claus@xn--frber-gra.muc.de (Claus Färber) writes:

> Hallo,
>
> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> schrieb/wrote:
> > And the biggest job is changing every library package to build the
> > amd64 flavour and put its libraries into /lib64/. But that can be done
> > step by step as needed to compile binaries for amd64
>
> The method of putting libraries into /lib/ and /lib64/ does not work if
> you want to have i386 and ppc, for example, on the same system. While
> this is not possible at the moment, it will be once someone writes a
> good CPU emulator... (or with CLI).

The decision to put libraries inot /lib and /lib64 has been made quite
some time ago and works fine. I would say thats pretty much
unchangeable now without a realy good reason. Everyone objecting to
/lib64 is a few years to late.

MfG
        Goswin