Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 03:20:00PM +0100, Claus Färber wrote:
> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> schrieb/wrote:
> > And the biggest job is changing every library package to build the
> > amd64 flavour and put its libraries into /lib64/. But that can be done
> > step by step as needed to compile binaries for amd64
>
> The method of putting libraries into /lib/ and /lib64/ does not work if
> you want to have i386 and ppc, for example, on the same system. While
> this is not possible at the moment, it will be once someone writes a
> good CPU emulator... (or with CLI).

It has been possible, at least in the past, on Alpha.  Even today, when
you compile an Alpha kernel, you have the ability to enable i386 binary
support.  em86 has not been updated in years, though, so I don't know if
it is actually any good any more.  I suspect not.  Even not so drastic,
a Linux kernel on Alpha can still run OSF/1 and Tru64 binaries.

However, even on i386 this situation could arise.  For instance, Debian
GNU/KFreeBSD could support both FreeBSD and Linux binaries on a single
box.  (The FreeBSD kernel already has that ability.)

In other words, you hypothesis is a lot closer than you may think :-)