Help: apt-get -d install --reinstall ignores dependencies

Hi,

I read the manual page of apt-get forth and back, but I still
don't understand it: If I want apt-get to download package files,
I use apt-get -d install.  If the package happens to be installed
apt-get -d --reinstall install helps.  But if the package has
dependencies, the other packages are not downloaded :-(

Do I miss a magic command line switch?  Do I need a work-around,
like first checking the dependencies somehow (how?) and giving
the result to apt-get?  Note: the solution must be scriptable.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers, WB