I have the same problem with Mounting Remote CDROM like you , Can you Help?

HI

I was searching the web and only found that you have the same problem like I am trying to solve but unsuccessfully. Did you fix or figured out how to solve it? If you do could you tell me how the mount command look like in the fstab file?? I want to install packages by using cdrom from my other pc on my network cause I have no cables to hook up the third drive to my Mandrake 9 linux.

Thanks, your help is realy appreciated.

Below is the topic that I found on the web. Thx

remote cd mount bug

draq:~# cat /etc/fstab
#
/dev/hda1       /               ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro      0       1
/dev/hda5       none            swap    sw                      0       0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                        0       0
/dev/fd0        /floppy         auto    defaults,user,noauto            0       0
//kai/cdrom     /cdrom          smbfs   defaults,ro,guest               0       0

draq:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r0 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-3 (20000814)]/ potato contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r0 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-2 (20000814)]/ potato contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r0 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20000814)]/ potato contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main

draq:/etc/apt# dselect
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Merging Available information
Replacing available packages info, using /var/cache/apt/available.
Information about 4014 package(s) was updated.
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  quake-3dfx
  abiword emacs20-el netscape-base-4-libc5
0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/8209kB of archives. After unpacking 27.2MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Media Change: Please insert the disc labeled 'Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r0 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-2 (20000814)' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter

Media Change: Please insert the disc labeled 'Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r0 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-2 (20000814)' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter

*******
Bug report regarding apt-get

Two machines on a local lan at home WITHOUT an Internet connection! :(
My linux box doesn't have any input devices besides the nic eth0,
since installation where i ripped out the cdrom from my windows box.
Hence, for future installation adjustments I need to mount my cdrom
remotely.
apt-cdrom add works well(indexing etc.) with the remote cdrom. But once I have
selected the packages using dselect, and attempt to install them it
doesn't seem to find the remote cdrom, and uses some other method which
doesn't work to find a cdrom source.
If i try mounting it before hand, it umounts it (annoyingly).

Any quick fix would make me very happy, i have about 17 gig free on my
linux hd. I don't mind installing woody over potato if that's possible
if there is a fix contained within that release.

Regards
-Kai Hendry
--
Mobile: +358408367733