Re: APT

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
>
> > I've just done another merge between APT and APT-RPM, and noticed that
> > you have downgraded the version in the changelog to 0.5.4.9.
>
> I think that is only until an offical release into debian is made. The
> 0.5.4.*'s seem to be pre releases that Adam is making for testing. I would
> like the next official one in debian to be 0.5.5, I don't see a reason
> for Adam to use a different version number.

Yeah, that was my plan.  I may make one more test release.  Current cvs has a
ton more messages marked with _().  A few that probably shouldn't, and a few
that probably still should.

Jason, I am going to have to remove alot of the stream << handling. :|

I'm slowly going thru the existing bugs, applying simple fixes(docs, etc).
After I get most of those done, I'll do bug merging.

> > Is there any place (mailing list, irc channel, etc) where you discuss
> > APT development? I belive everybody would benefit if we get closer.
>
> The list is deity@lists.debian.org and I _think_ I saw a message
> indicating it was unmoderated. These days it's mostly just bug
> reports from Dan Jacobson though ;>

Yes, I caught one of the listmasters on irc, and poked him.

> > You both are also welcome to the apt-rpm list [1], if you find it
> > interesting. We have a pretty active community of users and
> > contributors there.

I really don't know much about deep apt internals, and am not qualified to
merge features like this.

> Someone else made a partial perl binding too, but I'm not sure where it
> went..

apt-cache show libapt-pkg-perl.  Done by the perl maintainer.

I need to get back to my java bindings for it some day.