Re: priorities between virtual packages ...

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 01:06:07PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Sven LUTHER wrote:
>
> > > This is already done, but only for dependencies that are resolved
> > > automatically.
> >
> > Mmm, how do you specify the priorities ?
>
> I think it is based on the priority field. What I don't remember is how it

Well, but the priority field is used for other things than just this.
And most of the packages build with ocaml have the same priority anyway
(extras i think).

> selects when you have a real package with the same name as the virtual
> one.

I will have to try.

> > Does this mean, that if i call the native package foo, and the
> > bytecode package foo-bytecode or something such, and that foo-bytecode
> > provides foo, then if i do an apt-get install foo, it will take the real
> > package foo in preference over the virtual one, but take the virtual
> > package if there is no real native package available ?
>
> Hmm. I am not sure. That is definately a likely outcome though, so it is
> probably worth your time to try it.

Mmm, i will try with a local repository to see how it works.

Friendly,

Sven Luther