Re: empty status

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Marc Singer wrote:

> Then it seems ever more peculiar that apt should abort when the file
> is missing.  Why should it care about the status file when it is
> invoked to download packages?

Because apt is not a package downloader.  It is a system upgrader/installer.

When you invoke -d, apt just skips the installation steps.  However, it still
takes the system's state into account to figure out what it needs to install.

> What I'm saying is that there are some assumptions coded into apt and
> dpkg that make them difficult to use in ways that are useful, but not
> as originally intended.  What is the harm in making them more
> flexible?

You are assuming apt can download packages.  It can't.  It installs and
upgrade packages.