Re-Apt DB

Hello, I'm still new to the whole Linux and Debian scene, so I'm not sure if
I'm emailing the correct address, or if I should even be emailing this . . .

A short while ago, my / partition became corrupted.  /home was untouched, so
all my preferences remained, but I had to re-grab all of the packages I had
previously installed.  Since I'm new, I couldn't remember all of them.  So I
pose this question . . . was there a flat file containing the names of the
packages that had been installed, somewhere on my local system (other than the
/ partition of course)?  That would have seriously aided my quest to restore
my system to its earlier state.

Just curious!

Thanks in advance,

David Swayze