`Internal error' problem near start of Debian woody upgrade

Yesterday I got 7 binary woody CDs and since then I've been preparing
for an upgrade. Rather than do it on my current system, I am using an
older 2.1 (?slink) for safety.

Even though the first CD has `Official i386 binary 1 non-US'
emblazoned across it, the instructions on how to upgrade said I should
follow what potato said. I also picked up ch-upgrading.html for woody
today and have used a mixture of the two.

Instructions in ch-upgrading.html for potato said I should install the
static dpkg and apt packages which I did without problem. I also had
no problem with `apt-cdrom add' or `apt-get update' which were also
required.

Moving now to ch-upgrading.html for woody, I was told to run:

	apt-get install dpkg apt debconf

Doing so generated the following error message:

	E: Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration

Looking at apt-get with `strings' shows that this could have come from
apt-get; hence my email to you, the apt maintainers. (I include the
result from `script' below since it seems to bear no relationship to
the parameters given to apt-get.)

I have no idea what is happening here since none of my Debian
documentation seems to mention anything about internal errors.

Incidentally, the woody ch-upgrading.html also recommends using
dselect rather than apt-get but I've been unable to find it. I would
have expected it in /cdrom/pool/main/d/ on the first CD but it's not.

I hope you can help; I feel like a child whose new Christmas present
is short of the necessary batteries and the shops are closed :-)

Barrie.
----------------------------
Script started on Wed Aug  7 18:32:15 2002
ttyp0:~# apt-get install dpkg apt debconf

Reading Package Lists... 0%

Reading Package Lists... 100%

Reading Package Lists... Done

Building Dependency Tree... 0%

Building Dependency Tree... 0%

Building Dependency Tree... 0%

Building Dependency Tree... 1%

Building Dependency Tree... 2%

Building Dependency Tree... 46%

Building Dependency Tree... 50%

Building Dependency Tree... 50%

Building Dependency Tree... 50%

Building Dependency Tree... 51%

Building Dependency Tree... 52%

Building Dependency Tree... 63%

Building Dependency Tree... 97%

Building Dependency Tree... Done
  console-common e2fsprogs fileutils jed jed-common kbd libnewt0 libpopt0
  libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 lynx perl-base slang1 sysvinit util-linux whiptail
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kbd-data newt0.25
  console-common debconf libnewt0 libpopt0 libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2
13 packages upgraded, 5 newly installed, 2 to remove and 53 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/6535kB of archives. After unpacking 2798kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

0% [Working]

Media Change: Please insert the disc labeled 'Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r0 _Woody_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20020718)' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter

0% [Working]
0% [Working]
0% [Working]
0% [Working]
0% [Working]
0% [Working]
0% [Working]
0% [Working]
0% [Working]
0% [Working]
0% [Working]
0% [Working]
0% [Working]
0% [Working]
0% [Working]
0% [Working]
5% [Working]

10% [Working]
15% [Working]
21% [Working]
26% [Working]
31% [Working]
36% [Working]
42% [Working]
47% [Working]
52% [Working]
57% [Working]
63% [Working]
68% [Working]
73% [Working]
78% [Working]

E: Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration
ttyp0:~# exit
exit

Script done on Wed Aug  7 18:33:34 2002